ALEYE is a small, wearable heart rate and EKG monitor which connects the wearer to their heart’s activity and also connects them to their emergency contacts through a companion mobile app.
ALEYE: Connect with your heart was shortlisted for the 2018 IxDA awards, in the Connecting category. Find the shortlist here: IxDA 2018 award shortlist.
Above is the video I submitted to the Interaction Design Association Awards.
Interaction, Product, and Visual Designer
From concept to design I conducted research and interviews, prototyped, conducted usability testing, created 3D models, designed all visual and graphics, and more.
Sketch, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Keynote, Rhino, Google Slides
Heart disease is the #1 cause of death in the world.
Initial Research Key Insights
- There’s a vicious cycle that occurs to people who have suffered a heart attack. An increased chance of another attack, once a person has already had one can cause concern that develops into anxiety. The feeling of anxiety and panic attacks can feel like a heart attack.
- People who suffer from heart disease have an increased chance of having a heart attack. Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the world.
- People often don’t recognize the symptoms of their heart attacks and wait hours to get help, which often causes irreparable heart muscle damage that could have been prevented with immediate medical attention.
- Women who have heart attacks often suffer from extremely vague symptoms that mimic heartburn, back pain, and the like, leading them to believe nothing serious is happening.
What product could I design that would increase the quality of life for people living with heart disease and those that have already suffered a heart attack?
I designed a wearable heart rate and EKG monitor, called ALEYE, which connects with a companion mobile app that notifies the wearer, plus personalized emergency contacts if they are having a heart event that requires immediate medical attention.
Process (high level)
- Project schedule plan!
- Online research on CVD and heart attacks
- Heart attack survivor stories in AHA’s newsletter and website
- (3) heart attack survivors
- (1) ICU nurse and heart attack survivor (SME)
- (1) Radiologist (SME)
- Journey Mapping
- Persona Generation – primary and secondary
- Problem Definition
- Conceptualization of product
- User Scenario
- Product Competitive Analysis
- Non-wearable medical devices
- Health monitors
- Temporary heart monitor attachments and mobile apps (closest competitors)
- Material research
- Micro EKG chips
- Long-wearing medical grade adhesives
- Wearable prototyping
- Design research
- More testing!
- Mobile app screen design
- Pattern research
- Mobile design
- 3D design
- Final designs, one-sheet, and presentation
Want more details? Here’s most of my process blog.